Tuesday, January 29, 2008

It was a white out!!!!!!!


It is amasing to me that I can leave my house, it was windy not much snow, and drive 5 minutes up the road to take Ian to preschool and I can not see a thing. Complete white! Glen and Sarah know the road I take to get Ian to school. My boys love it It is a huge gully and it definalty feels like a rollercoaster ride. Well yesterday when I got to the top of the hill all of a sudden I couldn't see anything. I slowed way down and when I got to the bottom of the hill there were cars stuck at the top who couldn't get tracktion. They got themselves turned around so that they could head up the other way I guess and when I started to go because I had come to a complete stop I didn't have enough traction to go up the hill.
I turned around and headed up the other side of the gully and there was a car stopped at that end of the hill, lost traction again, turned around in a white out condtions,Yikes, and decided to go through a new development going in at the bottom of the hill. Had no problems going that way, and got out onto 10400 which is the road you take to Glen's old home.
I decided to go the long way to get Ian to school and started to head east. Heavy wind and lots of snow, couldn't see well but thought I would be fine. It was at this time I realised I forgot my cell phone, which it unfortunatly common. As we came to the stop sign I had no traction and was sliding into the car in front of me and I didn't want ot have and accident so I swerved to the right where there was probably a foot of snow, got stuck which I feel is better than rear ending a huge truck. I tried rocking back and forth was almost out when there burly guys came to help push me out. Of course seeing them behind me made me nervous that I would runn them over so I ended up really getting stuck. They happened to have a tow rope and hooked it onto my hitch and the back of my van and easily pulled me out. I was so glad, knowing I forgot my cell phone, becaouse I almost felt helpless.
At this point I knew I should turn and go back home, but I didn't. I turned down 6000 West and headed for Highland Hwy. I could not see anything! I couldn't tell what side of the road I was on, I couldn't see anything. A car passed me going the opposite direction but we weren't close so I felt that I was on the right side of the road. I wanted to get off the road but couldn't see anywhere to pullover so I just kept going straight. All of a sudden we made it to the hwy and I really didn't want to get on but didn't know where else to go, so were turned left on the hwy now. I still couldn't see anything,except for the car in front of me. We were going about 5 mph, every once and a while we saw cars sitting on the side of the road. Ian and I just kept saying prayers of saftey. I knew I just had to get to Ian's school and we would be fine. We finally got to the light to turn and again, once I didn't have somebody in front of me I couldn't see anything, just WHITE! Ian's school was just around the corner and we made it safe and sound. I left my house at 11:55 and pulled into Ian's school at 12:40. It takes less than five minutes to get to his school, on a good day. I hung out at his school until 2:15 when jason came and picked us up. I don't like those kind of snow storms.

3 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

Wow sounds like you had a scary drive. I hate those kinds of storms, yet they are sometimes fun too.

Horsley News said...

Boy sounds very hairy. We have had a couple of white knuckle trips to salt Lake lately. This is a bad winter. I'm glad that you were ok. Prayer works.
Love MOM

Horsley News said...

From the sound of things you were very lucky to avoid an accident. Susan and I had scary drive to SLC last monday and this tuesday. We are going prepared to stay overnight on Jan 31 if the storm hits thursday afternoon into friday morning. I don't worry about me having an accident, it is the other nutty guy. Love Dad